As two of the most highly sought after steel grades on the market,many questions come up between the differences in 1018 and A36 steel.How different is A36 from 1018?Are they equivalent material grades?Let's take a look at the differences between them.
1018 can come in cold drawn or hot rolled forms,but it is frequently purchased as a cold drawn product.We'll assume 1018 is in its cold drawn state in this comparison.It typically comes in bar form in various sizes and shapes.1018 steel is a mild low carbon steel with good ductility,toughness and strength qualities.1018 steel can be easily welded using most welding processes.Capital Steel & Wire for example makes 1018 cold drawn bar in square,hexagon,round and flat bar shapes and can cut it in any specified length.
ASTM A36 steelis one of the most widely manufactured grades of steel,as it has many different applications across many industries.Like 1018,it can be hot rolled or cold drawn, but is typically hot rolled.So again,in this comparison,we'll assume A36 is hot rolled.It comes in many different bar shapes including squares,rounds, rectangles,and is also often manufactured into channels,angles,I-Beams and H-Beams.It is also commonly manufactured as a steel plate product.
Chemically, A36 and 1018 are very similar.
|Phosphorus, P (max)||0.04%||0.04%|
|Sulfur, S (max)||0.05%||0.05%|
Whether steel is hot rolled or cold drawn has a significant impact on the mechanical properties as noted in the table below.
|Tensile Strength||58,000 psi||63,000 psi|
|Yield Strength||36,300 psi||53,700 psi|
|Elongation (50 mm)||20%||15%|
1018 steel is used over A36 for applications that require machining,because it responds to machining fairly well.1018 is most commonly used in high volume screw machine parts including shafts,spindels,pins and rods.A36 is often used as a mass steel product for the industrial and construction industries for making buildings,bridges,railroads,oil rigs and more.A36 is easy to weld with any standard welding methods,and with lower yield strengths than 1018,it is easier to bend.
Because cold drawing steel is more labor intensive and time intensive,the price of hot rolled products is significantly less than cold drawn.For products that do not require higher quality finishes and high strength and machinability characteristics,A36 makes a lot more sense than 1018 simply for the reduced cost alone.
As you can see,the mechanical and chemical properties of 1018, the machinability and the surface finish of 1018 steel are all superior to A36.However,the big advantage of A36 is the overall cost.When deciding between the two steels,take into consideration the end application and the quantity that you will need.
If you need any info or price details on steel plate of Q235A,Q235B or equivalent steel standard ASTM A36 and SS400, don't hesitate to send a message now!
- Carbon Steel Plate
- China DIN 17102 EStE255 structural steel plate supplier
- China EStE460 structural steel sheet manufacture
- WStE460 hot rolled mild steel sheet
- Steel Alloy Steel Plate Coil Strip Sheet SS400 Q235 Q345 hot rolled steel sheet coil
- ASME SA572 Gr 55 carbon steel sheet size
- DIN 17102 StE460 hot rolled HR plate sheet
- China SA656 Gr 60 HR plate sheet mill
- Offer S550QL1 HR plate plate
- Multifunctional EN10025 4 S460ML HR plate plate
- EN10025 6 S690QL1 HR plate plate specification
- ASME SA588 Gr B hot rolled structural steel sheet
- GB T3274 Q235A HR plate plate sale
- ASTM A36 S235JR hot rolled tube building materials
- Supply EN S460QL HR plate sheet
- ASTM A656 HR plate sheet application
- ASTM A709 Gr 50W HR plate sheet data sheet
- China EN S690QL HR plate plate supplier
- Multifunctional ASTM A283 Gr D steel plate
- GB T16270 Q620C HR plate sheet application
- TStE355 cheap low alloy steel plate
- EN S690Q HR plate plate supplier
- EN S460QL HR plate sheet distributor
- SM490B HR plate sheet specification
- China ASME SA514 SA514M mild steel plate manufacture
- S235J0 HR plate sheet application